The Bedford Hall
The collection of buildings in a Jacobean style at the Tank Yard, Thorney are now home to the Thorney Society’s Heritage museum, the fire station, the Bedford Hall, the North Level Drainage Board and several small businesses.
The Bedford Hall has been a community resource since it was named and opened in April 1981.
From 1848, Samuel Sanders Teulon began the redevelopment of Thorney including the Tank Yard buildings for Francis, the 7th Duke of Bedford, as part of his model village.
The brick tower, built in 1855 houses a large cast iron tank on the sixth floor once providing water to the village.
Water was fed to the Tank Yard via the Thorney River from the Nene where two engines installed in the cellars of the Hall pumped the water to the tower tank.
Other parts of the Tank yard complex included a blacksmith’s shop, craftsmen’s workshops, a timber store, a sawmill and the engineer’s house.
in association with the
Further information on all projects & publications can be found by contacting us or visiting the
The Access Cambridge Archaeology, University Field Academy Dig in Thorney July 2010
The Thorney Abbey Fields Community Archaeology Project
Family History Weekend
Feast of Fenland Exhibition
Balloon aerial photography project
Photo Surveys of local buildings
Survey of graveyard memorials
Protestant Settlers, Community Pageants
FocUs 2000: Photo-documentary of Thorney Life at the turn of the millenium